Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Silence of the Lambs - Will's review

Another bone-fide modern classic this week. 

I first saw Silence of the Lambs soon after it's release, which would have put me at 12 or 13 years old; I guess back then expected a bit more killing from my serial killer movies, and a bit less talking, because I never watched the whole thing. 



This time around, however, I loved it; I'd go as far as to say it is the quintessential psychological serial killer movie. But you don't have to take my word for it; Silence of the Lambs was only the 3rd movie ever to take home Oscars for the five main categories (Best picture, lead actor, lead actress, direction, and writing - in this case adapted screenplay) and it remains the only horror movie to have won Best Picture. 

For all it's (well deserved) awards, it's the 2 acting achievements that shine. Jodie Foster is superb as Clarice Starling, a trainee FBI agent sent to get clues about an ongoing investigation from serial killer, psychologist Dr. Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter, but it's Hopkins in the role of said psychopath who steels the show - even more impressive when you consider that he spends a scant 16 minutes on screen. 

As stunning as the performances are, everything else about the movie serves to back them up and enhance them; from script to set design, the movie is crafted to make you feel exactly what the film makers intended - the scene where Clarice is first lead down to Hannibal's cell in the depths of a psychiatric institute is superb, and serves to set Lecter up as a terrifying monster of a man before we ever lay eyes on him. 

Utterly, utterly recommended.  

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that bit about 16 minutes! Shocking!


    I adore this movie. One of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind: