Saturday 30 November 2013

Daughters of Darkness (1971) - Lisa's Review


I'm kind of torn this week with 'Daughters of Darkness'.  I thought when we entered the Time Out Top 100, we would be moving away from these kind of movies.  When I say 'these kind of movies' I mean dated, supposedly erotic, weak horrors.  The reason I am torn is, while watching the movie, I could see many reasons to give it a decent review - it has an impressive set, is beautifully shot, the 4 main players in the movie are all incredibly attractive, the colours jump off the screen at you.  It is beautiful to look at, but that's where I draw a line with compliments.

This movie is very highly rated, but it just isn't the sort of movie I enjoy or would choose to watch.  I suppose I've kind of had it with dated horrors with casual lesbianism thrown in.

In the movie, a young couple, Stefan and Valerie, stop off at a very large, very impressive and very empty hotel.  We are given an idea of their characters and it seems Stefan is a bit of an arse and the impossibly beautiful Valerie is very sweet and naive.  The couple are just married, but Stefan seems to have severe reservations about introducing Valerie to his mother.

Enter the very sophisticated, alluring Elizabeth Bathory (yes, that one) and her pretty maid Iona.   The hotel concierge is sure he remembers Elizabeth from many years ago when he was a young boy, but she hasn't changed at all in these years.  We learn that the secret to her beauty lies in the blood of young virgins... you know the story....

Elizabeth attempts to get closer to the attractive young couple by first seducing Stefan (not at all difficult it seems), then she moves on to her main interest, the beautiful Valerie.  Iona also makes her move on Stefan (who isn't winning any awards for husband of the year) and he succumbs again.

The movie is basically a mix of arthouse (which is what I think put me off) and seduction.  I wouldn't think I was giving anything away by telling you that Elizabeth Bathory is a vampire.  We know she is seeking the blood of young virgins.  Stefan is hardly a virgin, so we can see where the movie is headed.  I wouldn't categorize the movie as horror at all.  There is very little in the way of horror here.  It wouldn't even be considered as particularly erotic these days.

I can see why men would love this movie.  It is after all the stuff of fantasies, but there was very little here for me to get excited about.

One plus with the movie is that it doesn't end as you would imagine.  That was what had me torn.  It lost its element of predictability.  As fellow blogger Will often says, the presence of an unexpected and cool ending sometimes saves a mediocre movie.  Well this is the case for me.

Would I recommend it?  To guys who like older, classic or Hammer movies, yea sure.  This is where I feel it's appeal ends though.  It's not an avoid by any means, but it just didn't float my boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: