Tuesday 3 December 2013

Daughters of Darkness - Will's review

I saw "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" the other day (review due at The Cinephilliacs soon) and I was glad to find it fast paced. Why? Because honestly, I was starting to think I had ADD; it seems every film I see lately is (or good or bad) slow paced. 

Had I not had a reminder that it really isn't me, this film would have cemented my fears as, one again, i found my attention drifting from the screen in front of me. 


Valerie and Stefan are a newly wed couple, Stefan is the son if a British aristocrat, they are making their way back from Sweden to his family home, to introduce his new bride to his mother. Due to a delayed train, they miss their connecting flight, and are forced to spend the night in an hotel - something that Stefan is quite happy with, as he obviously does not want his family to meet Valerie anyway. 

It's quiet season at the hotel, and at first the newlyweds are the only guest, before ling though, they are joined by Countess Elizabeth Bathory (allegedly a descendent of /the/ Countess Elizabeth Bathory) and her traveling companion. The hotel's Concierge is convinced that the countess stayed in the same hotel some 40 years ago, back when he was a young bellboy, and that she has not changed at all. 

So, it's obvious from early on that it's a vampire movie, but it doesn't play like any other vampire movie I've ever seen - it's more how a giallo vampire movie might be (odd given that it has no Italian linage - it's a French / British / Belgique co production). 

Bathory instantly becomes obsessed with the couple particularly Valerie, almost forcing her friendship upon them. Meanwhile Stefan develops (or perhaps shows an existing) sadistic streak. 

There's not a lot else to say plot-wise, as the movie is mostly about the relationship between the 4 characters. 

Competently made, but dull, and only really counting as 'horror' by the skin of its teeth; once again, I'm left wondering why this one is on the list. 

1 comment:

Speak your mind: