Saturday 10 January 2015

Peeping Tom - Will's Review

After a long unscheduled break, I jump back into the TimeOut 100 with Peeping Tom, the story of Mark, a glamour (read: nudie) photographer, who in his spare time murders women while filming their faces; hoping to capture pure fear on film.
It's an interesting concept, and one that unfolds nicely, as we discover the reason for Mark's obsession / insanity.

It seems that Mark's father was a scientist and, like his son, a budding film-maker, intent on examining fear. Unlike Mark, his father never resorted to murder to create the fear he wishes to film; instead he tormented his own son.

Mark's obsession with recording has gone further still though; knowing he will eventually be caught, he can't consider his documentary complete unless he films as much of the police investigation as possible.

I've already said that the concept is interesting, and I find that's a word I keep wanting to come back to... The direction was interesting, the pacing was interesting, it is, overall, an interesting film... But I'm not sure it's a good one; I was never bored, but I was never really entertained either.

This is the kind of film Hollywood should be remaking, I know there's a good film in here somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: