Monday 28 July 2014

The Wicker Man (1973) - Lisa's Review


Firstly I will start off by saying, if anyone who is reading a movie blog has never seen The Wicker Man, get yer arse away from the screen and go watch it.  It's one of those movies everyone should have seen.  That is to say the 1973 original, not the travesty that is the 2006 remake.  Although it stars the beautiful Nic Cage, this is still not enough to save it.  Absolutely dire!  What's worse is I paid cinema money to go see it!  Anyways, I digress!



The Wicker Man tells the story of the very straight-laced very Christian Seargeant  Howie  (Edward Woodward) who travels to a remote Island  - Summerisle to investigate the disappearance of a young girl called Rowan Morrison.   Howie  encounters problems from the off with the village people and their reluctance to talk to him, listen to him or even in some cases tolerate him.  They even try to keep him off the island by telling him that he doesn't have permission to come on shore.  When he eventually gets onto dry land after some serious persistence, he encounters the same problem in every aspect of the investigation.  It seems he needs permission of Lord Summerisle for access to any material which may be useful to his investigation.  It becomes VERY clear that there is something very much amiss about Summerisle and it's inhabitants.

The expression 'There's nowt as odd as folk' is definately fitting for the folks of this island. Not only are they very secretive and almost Stepford-like in their outward perfection, but they worship a whole other god from Christian Howie.  The inhabitants of the island are Pagan and within that there are practises that any devout Christian would at the very least raise an eyebrow.  At least within this, there is opportunity for male viewers to see plenty of nubile young females.

The movie follows Howie as he attempts to find a crack in the very well polished community and some information that will help him in his investigsation looking for Rowan.  I don't think I should say any more about the story itself as it's best watched without any more knowledge.

I will say I remember watching this with my dad when I was quite young and being quite embarrassed by the nudity, but the main part I remember that stayed with me for many years after was one of the most exceptional endings in any movie EVER.  I loved that you couldn't predict it.... well a 10 year old me couldn't and the feeling I had when the credits rolled is something I've never forgotten.  It changed what was an good movie into a cult classic.

100% recommended by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: