Monday 14 July 2014

The Old Dark House - Lisa's Review


After a few weeks of movies which rate right up there with me, I couldn't believe my luck.  Then this weeks movie arrived....  I've said it many times, I will say it again.  I'm not a fan of old movies and at 1932 this one was right up there in the midst.  The Old Dark House is based on a 1927 novel by J.B. Priestly - Benighted.  Apparently it is a pretty good translation.  It is directed by James Whale and it boasts Boris Karloff amongst the cast.



I would imagine that a lot of people are pulled toward the movie by the fact that Boris Karloff features. However, he is almost unrecognisable, so much s,o there is a message at the start of the movie which states he is indeed in the movie.  He also doesn't have a major role in the movie.   In saying that however, the sinister role he does play is very intense and effective.


To give an idea of story here, we follow a married couple Margaret and Philip Waverton and their friend Roger Penderel who fall foul of a horrid storm whilst out travelling.  They get cut off by a landslide so they have no choice but to seek refuge in the only building nearby, which just so happens to be a rather gloomy looking mansion.


The home belongs to the somewhat odd Femm family.  The face which glares out from behind the door when it is initially opened, is perhaps one of the most disturbing parts of the movie for me.  The malevolence in the expression of Morgan, the mute house Butler, expertly portrayed by Boris Karloff is more than a little unsettling.  The travellers however have no other options but to seek shelter due to the storm.

After they enter, they first meet the very odd Horace Femm, who claims to be on the run from the police.  He is at first far from welcoming, but as time goes on, he is less the sinister figure he seems to be.  Just as we're getting our head around Morgan and Horace, along comes Horaces mad sister Rebecca.  She is almost deaf and seems to have more about her missing than her hearing.  She is far from welcoming and makes her disapproval of the visitors presence very clear.  Even so, our 3 travellers continue with their plan to stay.

Something I found even more disturbing than the inhabitants of the house was Margaret Wavertons 'change into something comfortable'. We were then treated to her change into a very sexy, even though it is long, silken nightie.  She then proceeds to rejoin her husband, Horace and Roger.  In 1932??? Give me a break!

As the night progresses, the strange little group are joined by 2 further travellers, stranded in the storm.  We then meet a loud, vulgar Northerner Sir William Porterhouse, who just so happens to be a millionaire (self made obviously) and his female companion Gladys DuCane.  It was interesting to see the portrayal of this buffon as northern.  It just goes to show the misconception was there even then.

In the midst of getting to know everyone,  Morgan has a bit too much to drink and his character changes from brooding but quiet to aggressive and violent.  There is also a dark secret to be revealed, which threatens to change the course of the evening and have the travellers longing for morning.

This was a movie that I wasn't particularly looking forward to watching if I am honest, but I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I saw.  True there were bits which had me rolling my eyes, but for the most part, it was an uncomfortable, creepy movie which I would recommend movie fans watch.  I wouldn't say it was 'horror' by any means, but it was a solid enough little movie.  Performances by Charles Laughton, who plays Horace Femm and Boris Karloff who plays Morgan the Butler steal the show and bring the creepiness to the proceedings.  The lighting is also excellent.

Despite myself, I am placing a Recommended on a movie from 1932!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: