Friday 23 May 2014

Black Christmas - Lisa's Review


So to a slightly older movie this week, 1974 and Black Christmas.  I'm not generally a fan of dated movies, so entered into this one without much hope of having an entertaining evening.  Thankfully I can say, I was wrong on this occasion.

The title of the movie may give you the impression that it's full of festivities and fakery that Christmas brings with it.  Thankfully the stereotypical Christmas movie feel is missing here.  There are a few reminders here and there in the script and little glimpses of festive things, but it's very easy to forget this movie is set at Christmas, which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing.

Although many aspects of the movie are dated, overall the movie had a nostalgic feel of times when horrors were good.  It took me right back to my childhood of growing up watching horror movies.  Although this one was released before I was born, it is very reminiscent of 80's movies.

Anyways, the plot!  The movie is set mainly in a girls sorority house.  There are a few main characters within the house:

Sweet and innocent Claire who is travelling home for the holidays.
Obnoxious, brash and crude Barb who isn't one for mincing her words.
Sensible Jess who is pregnant and wants to have an abortion against her boyfriends wishes.
Mrs Mac, the house mother who is much loved by all the girls.


The plot is something that has been repeated many times in different guises in other movies and is very effective when done correctly, which I feel it was here.

The girls have been receiving obscene calls from a man who they refer to as 'The Moaner'.  Unfortunately his moans and heavy breathing soon follow on to threats, insane noises and what sounds like other peoples suffering.  He soon moves on to relaying information that only certain individuals would know, creating suspicion as to who 'The Moaner' is.

We follow the girls individual stories and how the caller affects them all.  The calls soon become a secondary concern as one of the girls goes missing and we find out all is not well.

I won't say any more as this is a movie that I really feel you should watch.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and it is definately not the sort of movie I would go out of my way to see.  It is well shot, the acting is solid, performances are believable, the pacing is good, the score is used in just the right way and the overall sound in the movie is a big strong point.  It is not often that sounds alone can chill you to the bone, but as they are presented in this movie, they do.

I recommend this movie with no hesitation.  Go watch it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: