Saturday 28 December 2013

Lets scare Jessica to death - Lisa's Review


I have watched 2 movies from our Time Out list very closely together and I have to say, I haven't been overly enamoured with either.  I really hope it's just not my mood, but this one was monumentally awful as well!  Who the hell is choosing these movies ffs?

This movie follows Jessica (Zohra Lambert) who has just got out of a mental institution having spend 6 months in there.  She leaves New York with her husband Duncan (Barton Heyman) and they head for a house in the much quieter, peaceful Connecticut.  They also take along a hippy friend Woody (Kevin O'Connor).

When they arrive at the house, they discover a drifter called Emily (Mariclare Costello) has been squatting there.  A usual reaction would be to call the police, or at the very least, tell her the get the **** out of there.  What do this couple do?  Invite her to stay with them of course!!  The hippy-dippy, arty-farty mood continues through the entire movie, which is most probably a front runner in why I wasn't impressed.  I hate movies like this.

Jessica hears voices and sees a woman in white regularly.  I get that it is suppose to be forboding and eerie, but the over emphasised whispering  "Jeeeeeeeeeeeesicaaaaaaaaaaaa" was nothing short of laughable.  I felt like I was watching a horror pantomime.



We are left to wonder if this woman is indeed real or is a figment of Jessicas already established fractured mind.  We do find out in due course, but I won't ruin it for any masochist  who actually wants to sit through this.

Emily turns out to be something of a harlot and has her way with any man in the general vicinity. We also become aware of all the men in the village bearing odd marks or scars.  Have these scars anything to do with Emily?  Hmmmmmmmm.

I won't give away the ending,but I felt like it petered out rather than went out with a bang, which is probably the worst way you can go.   The end scene is very similar to the opening scene of the movie.  I guess we're left to wonder if we've just watched the contents of Jessicas fractured mind or did it all really happen.

You know what?  I don't really care.  Avoid.

1 comment:

  1. Too many unanswered questions, a real shame, because a few clever answers might have made up for how slow the movie was through must of its runtime.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind: