Saturday 19 October 2013

Street Trash - Lisa's Review

SHOCKTOBER SPECIAL: BEST WORST MOVIES
In honour of Halloween, we're taking a special "Shocktober" break from the Time-Out 100 Best Horror films, to focus on some of the worst...

*** SPOILERS ***

So after the surprising success that was last weeks Snoop Dog movie,  I had higher than normal hopes about this weeks movie.  So we have a return to normal form this week with a baaaaaad movie.  I suspect Will will thoroughly enjoy this one, but it really wasn't my cup of tea at all.

The basic premise (although there are a lot of other bits going on) surrounds a 60 year old bottle of alcohol called Tenafly Viper.  This is apparently not 60 year old good, but 60 year old out of date.  A shop owner finds it at the back of his shop and decides to sell it for a dollar a bottle.   

We introduce the horror element here, in that anyone who drinks the 'Viper' melts or explodes in the most curious of ways.


This reminded me of the plasticine short movies that guy makes on Youtube... you know the ones "Evil Dead in 60 seconds".  If you haven't seen them, sort that out, they are most amusing.  Unfortunately what works in a 60 second segment, doesn't work in a movie in my opinion.  When different homeless people are melting (the bottles are purchased by homeless guys) they do so in various rainbow colours.. purples, greens, blues, yellows.  They just seem to disintegrate and assume a plasticine-like consistency, spewing what looked like childrens posters paints.   We also find out that if any of these colourful melty bits fall onto anyone else (should they, lets say, walk underneath a melting person) they start to burn up.

Although there were other elements and a plethera of characters running throughout the movie, it seemed to me, just like one long, poorly acted excuse for exhibiting their special effects ideas.

I won't say this is the worst movie I've ever seen and I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of people, but it just didn't have anything to pull me in.

I will leave you with one positive.  There is an awesome decapitation scene by way of a flying gas cannister.  This is incredibly well done and the continued eye movements of the severed head is awesome.

I won't stick an avoid on this one, but it certainly won't get a recommended from me.  For an acquired taste I feel.

2 comments:

  1. "Will will thoroughly enjoy this one"??????

    HOW VERY DARE YOU???

    ReplyDelete
  2. For anyone reading this and wanting to look up the plasticine movies that Lisa mentions; the guys name is Lee Hardcastle.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind: