Monday 3 August 2015

Frankenstein (1931) - Lisa's Reviews


Frankenstein is always a story I've loved.  This is 1 of my 2 favourites, the other being the 1994  version with Kenneth Branagh.  There are different things to love about each movie.  With this 1931 version, there is a romanticism.  Even though the story is a horrific, frightening and even sad one, it manages to be beautiful all at the same time.

Boris Karloff is the perfect monster and has the iconic image we all know and love.  I've also always felt empathy for the monster and the plight he finds himself in.  Obviously that's the general idea, but of all the movies I watch, the character of the monster is one that has always fascinated me.  His downfall has always left me feeling incredibly upset as I suppose there is a real affection for him.
In this version, scientist Henry Frankenstein has a hapless hunchback assistant called Fritz.  Fritz figures quite heavily in how our monster turns out, in that he steals a murderers brain to be transplanted in him.  Although the monster is responsible for a few deaths, you can't blame him and in a way you feel sorry for him and the person he has been created to be.

The movie works wonderfully and for a movie of this age, the make-up is remarkable.  I honestly don't think anything was lacking at all here.   Great monster movie with all the necessary elements required to make it so.  Heartily recommend!

1 comment:

Speak your mind: