Sunday 5 July 2015

Psycho (1960) - Lisa's Review


This is a movie I've watched several times and the same thing remains true every time I've seen it... I only ever remember 2 scenes (both of which you'll catch in any horror movie countdown).   Try as I might (and I did again tonight), I can't retain any kind of attention for this movie.  I find it dull, dull dull!!!  Yes, I know, I know!  Hitchcocks best film (bollox), a work of art (cough).  I just don't like it.

I will happily concur with the fact that the films score by Bernard Herrman is outstanding.  It is without doubt that the use of the soundtrack was what made the famous shower scene so effective (that's one of the scenes that I manage to retain).  It sets a mood for the whole movie and manages to keep everyone perpetually on the edge of their seats, allowing for a few spectacular jumps.

If anything, this is probably one of my least favourite Hitchcock movies.  I just don't get why it's so popular.  I manage to struggle to the part where our leading lady, Marion (Janet Leigh) reaches Bates motel.  At this stage I was wishing the pace picked up a bit, but was persevering.  When Norman (Anthony Perkins) came onto screens, I just about lost the will to live and found maintaining consciousness getting more and more difficult.

So, as you can guess, this isn't one of my favourite movies, BUT I do accept that there is one extremely effective scene and the movie has an amazing score, so for that reason, I am not going to suggest you avoid this movie, but for my own personal viewpoint, I'm also not going to recommend it.  Watch it.  The viewpoint of the overwhelming majority suggests that you're more than likely going to love this movie.  I just so happen to be in the minority here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: