Saturday 25 April 2015

The Innocents - Will's Review

Truthfully, and without exaggeration, I assert that nothing in a motion picture can drive me to distraction with more haste than the ever so frightfully effected speech patterns employed by those who write period dramas, save perhaps the cadence with which such lines are delivered by members of the acting profession whom find themselves cast in same. I am certain therefore, that it will be no great struggle for you to ascertain the issues I found myself having with the movie it befalls upon to view for our two hundred and sixth week.

That particular kind of affectedly "posh" period drama is (along with westerns) outright not my thing, and this movie would have to do a lot to win me over...

Based on "Turn of the Screw", the movie is highly acclaimed; as well as ranking 14th in the TimeOut list we're currently working through, the same magazine places it 18th in its list of greatest British films (if any genre), it won 2 BAFTAS, Martian Scorsese placed it amongst the top 11 scariest horror movies, and many critics claim it to be one of the best psychological thrillers ever made. There must be something to it... But it's something I can't see!

For me, the movies main problem (more so even than my personal loath of period drama speech) is the pacing; the movie is incredibly slow, and incredibly dull. I found my attention waiting on more than one occasion and had to rewind to see if I'd missed something, only to find that I hadn't.

To keep a simple story short, a governess to two orphaned children begins to see (and later believe the children to be possessed by) the spirits of two of the households former employees. There are also a couple of the most awkward child/adult kisses I've seen since Mickey.

I cannot honestly say that I hate this movie, as to do so would be to admit that it engaged me on some level, but I do hate that it wasted my time. Avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: