Saturday 29 November 2014

The Descent - Lisa's Review


The Descent is a movie I have seen numerous times.  One I was lucky enough to see at the cinema in the days where I went to see pretty much everything that was on.  I went to see this one not knowing much about it and it was an incredibly lucky call to see it on the big screen given the awesome cinematography and how well it translates on a larger screen.

As I said, I have watched it numerous times since and I've enjoyed it every time.  It was released in the same year as a movie called The Cave.  Both movies were set predominantly underground in equally impressive cavernous chambers, but they were actually worlds apart in quality.  The Descent winning hands down.  It is a UK release and unbelievably the fantastic cavern shots set underground were actually actually filmed using sets in the studio as actual caving was deemed too dangerous.  After having watched the movie, I have to say I concur whole heartedly.

We follow a group of friends - Beth, Sarah, Sam, Juno and Rebecca as they set off together caving, in something of a reunion for them.  The previous year Sarah, Beth and Juno had been white water rafting when Sarahs husband and daughter were tragically killed in a car accident.  Sarah hasn't been dealing well with the loss and the girls feel the trip may be good for her.

The relationships between the women are convincing and believable, but the movies main strength is revealed when the girls get into the massive caverns below ground.


I don't know if it is my claustrophobia or fear of being underground, but before anything deemed horrific actually happens, I was pretty well freaked out.

This movie would have been bloody good had it just been a tale of an adventure/tragic accident underground, but The Descent has more to deliver.  As the girls struggle with the environment they find themselves in, take massive risks to stay alive and uncover hidden secrets, they have something else to contend with.  It seems, they are not alone.

I don't want to say any more, but I have yet to meet someone who has watched this movie who hasn't enjoyed it.  The characters are all convincing and you do invest yourself in their story.  There is enough of a back story to keep us interested but not so much that you ever feel the movie drags or has a slow pace.  The effects are amazing, the cinematography is amongst some of the finest I've seen.  If it has my toes curling upwards, my fingers tingling and my legs shaking, then it's doing something right.

The Descent is a movie which will appeal more to horror and sci-fi fans, but I would imagine it should appeal to most folk bar those with a penchant for romantic comedies and a necessity for realism in their viewing.

It is without hesitation, I slap a big, fat 'Recommended' on this ones backside!

1 comment:

  1. ทางเข้าเล่น m98bet สล็อต เครดิตฟรี เตรียมความสนุกสนานและความตื่นเต้นให้กับผู้เล่นอย่างมากมายด้วยโปรโมชั่นและการแจกของรางวัลที่หนักหน่วง PG ซึ่งเป็นที่รู้จักในวงการเกมออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind: