Monday 27 October 2014

Nothing Left to Fear (2013) - Lisa's Review

NOTE: In honour of Halloween, We're taking a break from the TimeOut 100 Greatest Best Horror Movies.

This month, reviewers have boon given a free choice of any horror movie they haven't yet seen.


For the most part watching movies of my choice has been a good experience this October, but this one would rank amongst the worst movies I have ever sat through.  Let me make that clear from the start.  There is NOTHING positive to say about this movie.  No redeeming features.  There is nothing to be achieved by watching it.  There you go.  I won't make you suffer even reading this review if the only reason you're reading it is to see if this movie is maybe worth watching.  Let me save you the trouble.  It isn't.

So that cleared up, I suppose I best give you a premise of sorts.  Although can I say, that even though I had absolutely NO idea what was going on until the movie was over, I still had to wiki the movie to get a clear idea of what I just watched.

Pastor Dan, his wife, his 2 beautiful teenage daughters and his young son move from their city life to a small town in Kansas as the pastor is taking a new job there.  We have the usual getting to know the family, seeing the new house, settling in and pleasantries with neighbours.  Quite early on, the elder of the daughters, Rebecca becomes quite enamored by a local boy Noah.  Now this is the ONLY thing of note in the movie.  This boy happens to be Gregory Pecks grandson and his voice is amazing.   So there you go, there is actually something positive to say about the movie!  Who'd have thought!

So Rebecca digs Noah, even though he is VERY wierd.  It becomes very clear to the viewer that there is something f*cked up about this town and its inhabitants  In fact everything is a bit wierd.  Problem is, it never tells us what, so we're looking in all the time wondering what the hell is going on.  We see odd behaviours and we know some people are fundamentally bad and some are just odd and 'in on' whatever it is that's going on.  I'm sorry to appear so vague, but honestly I had no idea what was going on throughout and saying anything more would give away what small piece of storyline there actually is.

Something that did surprise me though is that the effects in the movie are big budget.  They are quite similar to what you'd expect in Japanese horror.  Effects that have passed over to American horrors in the last 5-10 years.  I'm thinking 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' as somewhere I saw similar effects.

So, we plod wearily on and the familys other daughter Mary is suddenly very ill.  This blows out of all proportion overnight and we are thrown from "WTF is going on?" to our final 20 minutes or so and the big reveal of what's been happening.  We end somewhat as we start with the mindless, unexplained cycle repeating itself.

So, there you have it.  Good effects.  Crap movie.  BIG FAT AVOID.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: