Sunday 28 September 2014

Deep Red - Lisa's Review

So, as I started the movie for this weeks review, I did so with much sighing and a feeling of resignation.  Deep Red is an Italian Giallo movie, originally Profundo Rosso.  It was released in the year of my birth - 1975, the reason for my lack of excitement?  It's a Dario Argento movie.  I think Argento is one of those directors that you either love or hate and I'm afraid I would be in the latter camp with what I've seen so far.  So let me end this little introductory paragraph with a stunning revelation... I actually ENJOYED this movie!  There is an Argento movie I can honestly say I like!  I am somewhat stunned, but pleased by that.  So to the movie...

Deep Red follows Marcus Daly (David Hemmings) after he witnesses the murder of a psychic.  This music teacher takes it upon himself to start his own investigation.  He feels that deep in the recesses of his brain he may hold an important clue in that a picture he saw on the wall of the psychics apartment had disappeared when the police arrived.  However by becoming involved in the case, Marcus puts his own life in danger.

The killer seeks Marcus out, but due to his ritualistic playing of an eerie tune with children singing Marcus manages to save himself.  He joins forces with a psychiatrist Giordani to work out what makes the killer tick and why he is carrying out the murders.  Unfortunately, the killer follows Marcus and everyone he meets on the path of his investigation meets a grim end.  Special mention has to go to the over acting of 'teeth guy'.

The movie has several gory murders, the eerie kiddy song, intrigue, is incredibly well thought out and has the most scary ass mechanical puppet I think I have ever seen.  Honestly the thing makes me shudder.

As someone who doesn't seem to guess the endings of any bar the most obvious, the conclusion came of something of a surprise to me, but a good one.

The movie is very straight-forward for an Argento film.  There is no sign of arty fartyness but the cinematography is fantastic, as you would expect.  I found the movie to be very well thought out and entertaining.  The only complaints I would have is a bit of over acting and the fact that it dragged a teeny bit in certain places with a bit too much concentration on the wrong things.  That sounds more a big deal than it was, it was just something of an observation.

In short, I really enjoyed this movie, which was a pleasant surprise for me.  I enjoyed it enough to give it a 'recommended'.  Pigs really do fly.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! So you finally found an Argento you liked! Maybe you will ge something from his earlier stuff then - the animal trilogy. The next period of his work sort of went down the hyper stylised route and, given you didn't like Inferno will probably not appeal to you much more.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind: