Saturday 14 June 2014

Repulsion - Will's Review

Carol is a nervous young Belgian woman, who lives with her sister in London. When her sister goes on holiday with the married man she is having an affair with, NAME is unable to cope with being left alone, and slowly descends into a mental breakdown. 


Polanski's first English-language feature already has his trademarks in place; a mundane setting, maybe-real-maybe-dream sequences, and some absolutely gorgeous looking shots. 

Sadly though, and I appreciate that this isn't the popular opinion, I often find his work dull; this is no exception. 

Once again, I find myself looking at a critically successful movie (this one scores a staggering 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and being bored to tears. 

Yes, I can see that the film-making is technically excellent (especially in the second half) but I don't expect great movies (and this is supposed to be one of the 100 best horrors remember) to be merely proficient; I expect them to be entertaining. 

If you watch a film to dissect it and be impressed; go for it! You'll love this one. But if, like me, you expect your entertainment to be entertaining, not just beautiful, give this one a wide birth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: