Saturday 15 March 2014

Dracula (1958) - Lisa's Review


There have been many, many re-imaginings of the story 'Dracula', so I think it would be a little pointless for me to start going over the storyline.  This 1958 Hammer Horror version is far from the first, but it is probably one of the best known.

In the movie we have Christopher Lee as Dracula, Peter Cushing as Doctor Van Helsing and the relatively little known John Van Eyssen as Jonathon Harker.

It's the pretty straight forward Dracula story and is something it's very hard to get excited about if Hammer movies are not really your thing (as is the case with me).  I've always thought they were vastly overrated.  Ok, there are maybe a few I don't mind, but they're the kind of movies that as best 'I don't mind', but at worst 'bore the tits off me'.  This one was somewhere in the middle.

Ok, so I can hear the cries of "Are you mad?", "This girl knows nothing!".  I care not a jot.  These kind of over dramatic, grand technicolor extravaganzas just don't appeal to me at all.  Sure I can appreciate the grandeur and opulence of the set and the costumes, but it just doesn't float my boat.

The hubby had told me the story of how difficult Christopher Lee had found it to wear the famous contact lenses he wears whilst playing the count and he does an admirable job it has to be said.  I can totally see why some people love this kind of movie.  It just isn't for me.

My failure for any kind of excitement about the movie or any real dislike leaves me a little short of words for the review.  I figure Will loves this kind of thing so will give you a completely contrary view if you are a Hammer fan.  Neither suggesting you should avoid this nor recommending it this week.  Watch if it's your thing, don't if it isn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind: